Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Abdul Proposes; Johanna Disposes

Hello Everyone!
I hope you are well. I have been having multiple different internet issues (first, my network apparently blocked access to my own blog, and then, it gave out altogether), and am therefore writing this on a borrowed computer, but am doing well otherwise. Work continues on a Viva playroom, where young mothers who can't afford to put their children in daycare or preschool can at least give them an opportunity to enjoy various toys, books, computer games, and good meals for several hours a day; we began clearing out the room yesterday, and today we designed and printed brochures. Also, after visiting three different banks a total of five times, I was finally able to change money! This is a good thing! (Also a good thing is the fact that I haven't actually needed any money up to this point). This weekend I will be heading to Kruger National Park with our good friends the Van Den Bergs, and hopefully we'll see some fantastic wildlife! I am very, very excited.
Because of these internet complications, I can't post any pictures today, so instead I thought I'd give you one of my most interesting conversations of the week: "Abdul Proposes; Johanna Disposes." The scene takes place as I am walking past Viva's welding shop, about to return to my job of replanting chrysanthemums in one of Viva's flower beds. Due to Abdul's thick accent, it is not word for word, but it's pretty close!

Abdul, a probably mid-40's or so Somalian man, who's working at Viva's welding shop: "Are you married?"

Johanna, smiling: "No."

Abdul: "Really?!"

Johanna: "Yes, really."

Abdul: "You should marry me."

Johanna: "I'm flattered, but no thank you."

Abdul: "Why not?"

Johanna: "You're too old for me!"

Abdul, ignoring what I just said, and answering several objections which I hadn't made: "Yes, it is true that I am a Muslim, but I want to marry, not be a boyfriend, and I have not had five wives; only one before, and not since 2005."

Johanna: "Poor man."

Abdul: "But I am not poor, I am happy!"

Johanna: "I too am happy without a wife... or husband."

[Goes back to flower bed and begins weeding again.]

Abdul: "But now I want to marry."

Johanna: "I am too young to marry."

Abdul, obviously in disagreement: "When are you coming back?"

Johanna: "To South Africa after I leave?"

Abdul: "Yes."

Johanna: "I don't know."

Abdul: "Why not?"

Johanna: "For one, it costs a lot of money to come from America to South Africa."

Abdul: "But if you love me..."

Johanna: "I never said I loved you! Besides, I am not ready to marry."

Abdul: "No one is ready--you do not decide; at one time you are not ready, and then God gives you the moment to say "Yes.""

Johanna: "It's not that moment. Besides, my father won't let me."

Abdul: "But that does not matter in America."

Johanna: "Oh, you don't know my father!"

[Abdul leaves. Sometimes these kinds of conversations can be a little creepy, but this was one was merely funny, so so far, so good. Two minutes later a little old grandmother with most of her teeth missing comes and plops herself down on the grass next to me.]

Granny: "You have a child?"

Johanna: "What?"

Granny repeats question.

Johanna: "No, I do not have a child."

Granny: "But you are big! You must have a child!"

Johanna: "No, I am not married, and I have no child. I don't even have a boyfriend."

Granny: "No boyfriend?!?"

Oh goodness. Until next time! Johanna

3 comments:

  1. You should have borrowed a wedding band from me. We didn't think of that! Good luck!!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heaven forbid I need a wedding band over here! If anything, I need it to give guys the false impression that I'm already taken! But thanks for the offer (that WAS an offer, wasn't it?). Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. In South America I was asked in a rather round about way if I would marry a man so that he could come to America. He assured me it would be no problem since the divorce rate in America was so high. It wouldn't hurt my reputation a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete